Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Uncle Tom's Cabin

"Of course, in a novel, people's hearts break, and they die, and that is the end of it; in a story this is very convenient. But in real life we do not die when all that makes life bright dies to us. There is a most busy and important round of eating, drinking, dressing, walking, visiting, buying, selling, talking, reading, and all that makes up what is commonly called living, yet to be gone through; this remained yet to Augustine." -pg 176, Uncle Toms Cabin.

Yes I can relate to this so well. Sometimes I think it might be nice to be able to die of a broken heart, sometimes I think that I will in fact do it. But it never happens. I go on living everyday, putting one foot in front of the other and leaving the past behind me. Forgetting is always the hardest part. I suppose if I were to simply die when I felt my heart was breaking than I would not have a chance to be the Overcomer that Jesus calls me to be.

No comments: